Mary Jane Schmidt, BMC ’24

A Day in My Life at Monument Lab

Semester: Spring 2024

Praxis Course: HART B420 Museum Studies Fieldwork Seminar

Faculty Advisor: Matthew Feliz

Field Site: Monument Lab

Field Supervisor: Cleary Rubinos

Praxis Poster: 

MJ Praxis_Poster_Final S24

Further Context:

This semester I worked at Monument Lab as an  Administration and Operations Intern. Monument Lab is a Philly-based nonprofit public art and history studio that seeks to change and challenge public art through installations and public programming. As part of the Operations team, I worked mostly behind the scenes to help Monument Lab run effectively and efficiently. It was really interesting to learn about all of the somewhat hidden and very necessary tasks that go on behind the scenes of an arts-based nonprofit organization. I was able to observe and participate in a variety of departmental meetings, and additionally completed three larger projects during my internship at Monument Lab.

My first project was to find suitable vendors that might be interested in selling Monument Lab publications and internships. Monument Lab currently has a virtual store; I was looking for secondary in-person options. To complete this, I compiled a database of contemporary art museum gift shops and independent bookstores. I recently looked back at this undertaking, and I had found 135 potential locations!

My second project was assisting with the redecoration of the new office space. I sorted posters, found frames, cut out newspaper clippings for a “In the News” wall, and installed shelving inserts. It was fun to have a more hands-on project and rewarding to see the vision come together. As a nonprofit, it is important that the office space of Monument Lab be comfortable and usable for employees as well as inviting for new artists or donors, reflecting the mission and values of the organization.

To the same purpose, my final project involved working with the Monument Lab directory, a huge database of nearly everyone that the organization has interacted with, almost since inception. Due to some limitations of the current platform, the system needed to be cleaned up and prepared for a transfer to a new client relationship manager. While slightly outside of my wheelhouse, this was a very interesting project to help with and I certainly picked up some new skills.

I really enjoyed my time at Monument Lab, and am very grateful for all of the opportunities for growth and learning that I was given. It was rewarding to work with the Operations department and I really enjoyed my behind-the-scenes perspective of the organization. The Monument Lab mission is inspiring and it has been impactful to see everything that we have been learning in the fieldwork seminar reflected in real life.